Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Up to No Good

 

Of course I’m talking about Sophie and Elvis.

P1010173

We, on the other hand have been busy with work. Over the past 2 weeks we’ve had seminars by the director of the National Butterfly Center, a Border Patrol agent and Mission police officer, and an audiologist. One interesting statistic from the Border Patrol agent was that 70,000 illegal aliens have been apprehended this past year, down from a high of a quarter million in the late 90’s. Guess they are doing their job.

We’ve also had a wine tasting, ice cream social, pizza party, and movie night. That is all in addition to the regular margarita hour, coffee and donuts, bingo, etc. All has gone well except we didn’t buy enough ice cream so there were some unhappy campers. Of course it was in the 80’s that day so everybody was in the mood for something cold. Also there are a lot of new people staying in the park this winter, and they are showing up for all the events. That’s a good thing but we’ve been basing our purchasing of supplies on the number of people who came to things last year. It’s interesting being behind the scenes!

Wine tasting in the clubhouse.

P1010142

 Jim and Ray hard at work.

P1010145

We are having a Christmas Eve social, 2 seatings for Christmas day dinner, then a New Year’s Eve dance, and entertainment on New Year’s Day. We are definitely not bored!

The kittens are growing up fast, and causing more trouble the bigger they get. If only we had half of their energy, or could sleep as well as they do.

P1010091

Jim loves the new camera. Here are some more photos taken in Bentsen State Park.

Golden-fronted woodpecker.

P1010101

Great kiskadee.

P1010108

Plain chachalaca.

P1010118

Mexican olive tree.

P1010122

It’s been unseasonably warm, in the 80’s, and sure doesn’t feel like Christmas. Not that we’re complaining!

5 comments:

  1. Yep, that chachalaca sure is PLAIN looking. We see a few around here too, though they don't have beaks ;) Good pics though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim's getting some great pictures with that camera. And of course the kitties are looking so cute. We have snow here this morning so it really feels like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are doing some really fun things there at the resort. I like the wine tasting idea a lot. Even though we aren't residents of leisure Valley, I might just make that a suggestion that we might be able to do this winter.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those are great pictures. I'm going to have to go back and reread the post that tells me what kind of camera that is. I'm really unhappy with mine.

    Those kitties are darling but I agree I wish I had their energy and their ability to sleep like logs. Oh to be young again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you're busy! I love the bird photos, that camera takes great shots - I guess I should say Jim takes great shots with that camera, right?

    I still have the old Nikon. I love it, but now I have something on the inside of the zoom that shows as a shadow on my pics. I've never had issues like this before, but don't want to spend a ton of money again on a good camera. Oh, well...

    The kittens are so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete