Friday, December 30, 2011

Cinderella Pet Rescue, Mission, TX

 

Pick me, no, pick me!  Aren’t they cute?

DSCN0863

A number of people who winter at Bentsen Palm Village are volunteers at Cinderella Pet Rescue, a no-kill shelter just a few miles up the road from the park. Since we decided to stay until March, I thought I would like to volunteer to help with the cats. I went there today for the first time with a couple other volunteers who work with the dogs. I met Cory, the Friday cat volunteer, and she showed me what they do. Not too difficult, just check to see the cats have plenty of dry food and water, give them some canned food and clean the platter after they eat, scoop litter boxes, check the bedding for “accidents” and replace it with clean ones. The most important part of the job is to just spend time playing with and giving attention to the cats. Something I love to do!

DSCN0851

I’d like to get Jim to come with me but he has such a soft heart when it comes to cats he’s afraid he’d want to adopt one.

DSCN0852 

Cat food always tastes better on a silver platter.

DSCN0853

There are lots of dogs looking for good homes, too. Here are the volunteers taking the dogs out for a walk and some socialization.

DSCN0858

Wouldn’t you like me to come live with you?

DSCN0864

There are also horses and chickens. And like all animal shelters they are in need of volunteers, supplies and money.

DSCN0866

I’ll be going back on Monday, which will be my regular day, since they had no Monday volunteers. I’m really looking forward to it.

6 comments:

  1. I'm thinking it would be hard to leave there without a new member of the family! Do they have RV hookups for volunteers, or do they just use locals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also have a hard time leaving the animals. I have a soft heart when it comes to shelter animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great of you to go and help. I'm with Jim. If I go, I just can't resist falling in love.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great place to volunteer, I would probably end up with a cat. Thank you for volunteering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We really loved our two cats. And would probably love the animals at the shelter, too. But another pet is NOT and option. It would outlive us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All 3 of my babies are rescues. This year alone I rescued and placed 5 other babies. They all get to my heart. Have to agree - don't know if I could handle working/volunteering there. Here is a huge thank you and virtual hug to you and the other volunteers!

    ReplyDelete